I have received the following announcement from the organizing committee of the program with a request to publish it in this forum. Those interested in this opportunity are requested to feel free to contact the organizers and get many of their questions on the program clarified.
I am also taking the privilege of making this extra post, exceeding the day’s quota, in view of the short period left for the program; I received the details just an hour ago.
The program will be conducted largely in the Kannada language.
Thanks and regards,
Sri ShAnkara-Tattva-PrasAra-abhiyAnam: Training in Advaita Vedanta (in Kannada)
Ø A two-day workshop on Dec. 25th (Saturday) and 26th (Sunday) 2010, in Mysore
Ø Venue: Sri Sringeri Shankar Math, Mysore.
With a view to provide an overview of Sri Adi Shankara and the Advaitic School of thought, a two-day intensive program has been organized in Mysore, India, on Dec. 25 and 26, 2010. The program is organized with the Blessings and patronage of H.H. Jagadguru of Sri Sringeri Sharada Peetham, Sringeri, one of the four prominent Maths established by Sri Shankara to promote Sanatana Dharma and Upanishadic thought. During the course of the two days, distinguished scholars will give lectures on the following topics.
- Familiarization of Indian schools of thoughts – Charvaka, Jaina, Bouddha, Nyaya, Vaisheshika, Samkhya and Yoga
- PUrvamimamsa and Vedanta – PrasthAna traya
- Introduction to Advaita Vedanta; Life of Sri Shankara and Advaita philosophy
- Non-Advaitic schools of thought
- Major objections to Advaita philosophy and their refutation
- Prakarana Texts on Advaita and other Advaita philosophers
- Hymns by Sri Shankara
- Science and Social Sciences – Advaitic thoughts in modern sciences
- Sringeri Guru Parampara and their contribution to Advaitic literature
- Relevance of Shankara’s teachings in today’s context
- Necessary skills in exposition of Advaita Vedanta by discourse
There will be Lecture demonstrations involving debate and Q&A sessions on these topics.
Study material to complement the lectures shall be provided.
Timings: 8 AM to 7 PM
Accommodation, Breakfast, lunch and Snacks will be provided for the participants.
Those interested to participate are requested to contact the below mentioned address with particulars regarding their address, educational qualifications, vocation, contact details, exposure and experience in Sanskrit and Vedanta.
Course organizer: Sri H Ramachandra, Dharmadhikari, Mysore Ph: 0821-2456460
Convener: Dr. Shikaripura Krishnamurty, Mangalore; Ph: 9448843322
Co-ordinator: Vidwan Gangadhara Bhat, Mysore, Sri Subraya Hegde, Sri Shankara Research Center, Sringeri. Phone: 89047-28949